Sunday 3 January 2010

Poetry and Smiles - 22 November 2009



Hi everyone,

The fun never stops here, and as I look at my diary for the next week I'm somewhat gawping at it's business! It's sure as packed a week as I've ever seen. But you know. Work hard play hard.

Recently I attended and spoke at a lovely poetic dinner organised by Libby Purves. It was such a nice evening and I met some really great people. It was held at the Trafalga Tavern, a fantastic location with a gorgeous view over the Thames and as I looked out the window during the clear night I wished that I could treasure that moment for times to come.

I've also been talking at schools recently and last week I had a throughly good time visiting a school in South London, going into classes and talking to all the pupils. This is all thanks to the Vocalink/ChallengeMike schools program we have jointly developed, which I'm really enjoying doing. There isn't much that can beat the smile of a child with a grin full of expression wanting to hear more.

I've been visiting some uni's around and about recently and I've been really impressed with some of the courses out there that I'd like to do. This is really opening my eyes to future options.

I'm still getting loads of emails saying how much people have enjoyed watching the documentary. Thanks, it means a lot.

Mike
Reader Comments
Dan near Toronto :
Hello from across the pond. Good to hear from you Mike. I'm sure you know, your posts here are not nearly frequent enough for your fans/well wishers. I'm pleased to hear your work with the school kids is rewarding for you (and them). I've now watched your docu on the web a couple of times and each has given me more to ponder and appreciate. Give my best to your family and I hope things are working out for your Dad...I know he means the world to you. Cheers mate Dan
22/11/2009 22:21:49

Devon from the US :
It is amazing to see what you have done and put into your life. As most people skim by on nothing, you are living life to its fullest it seems. I was amazed at what I saw in the documentary, and having never sailed or even remeber being at the beach, as I live in land, it made me want to experience something like that. I obviously can't right this second, but I admire all you have done. I am 18 and hven't even dreamed of the things you have done. Keep living life. Hope to hear some more from you
02/12/2009 07:36:43

Yihan :
Hello, Mike! Since I knew your adventure in newspaper, I have started to notice you. You are such a brave and great sailor. It is sad that I can not watch the documentary which is on Channel 4 because I live in Taiwan. However, I have seen some of your videos on YouTube. You really did a good job and you are truly awesome! I do not know how to show my respect to you and how excited I am. You made an amazing dream come true which moves me deeply. You are my hero, and that is all wha
06/12/2009 09:43:50

Dan near Toronto :
@ Yihan...I too was disappointed that I couldn't watch Mike's video on Channel 4, BUT...I found it on the web. Here's an address that shows the complete 90min. documentary. http://vidreel.com/video/NTc4MTU1/
11/12/2009 02:11:06

Dan near Toronto :
Hi Mike...I'm thinkin' it's about time we had another update on your latest activities...LOL. 1. How's the driver training going mate? 2. Has Totallymoney (Cray Valley) been returned to her owners yet? 3. How goes the presentations to the school kids around the country? 4. How's your Dad getting along? 5. How do you find time for your own school work?
11/12/2009 02:13:09

Dan near Toronto :
A long list eh? Guess I'm going to have to sponsor you again (ie Up the mast, and Sails videos) in order to get the answers to the above questions...lol. I Still love that "Sails" video for your comment of the "shredded sail...your favourite"...too funny mate. Oh Mike/Peter...I wondered if there was going to be t-shirts offered in any XL or XXL sizes..I don't see any clothing line any longer. Had to break this up 'cause I didn't want to get it cut off...not enough space allowed for posts..
11/12/2009 02:15:14

Dan near Toronto :
@Yihan...here's another link to Mike's documentary. The earlier link I gave may have some annoying buffering issues at times. http://www.wisevid.com/view_video.php?viewkey=nqvzjpzf77akvh014
11/12/2009 02:24:49

nicola :
Hi, finally managed to watch your video, had to watch it on streaming since it is not available where i am. Brilliant stuff. Everyone criticises Ellen MacArthur for crying during her film but few realise that no matter who you are you would also cry in the same circumstances. I think you did amazingly well given all the circumstances and watching the movie just made me realise even more the hurdles you had to overcome. Wishing you all the best for future adventures. N.
15/12/2009 09:33:14

angene :
hi Mike Ilive in China. I knew your adventure in Chinese newspaper,it is amazing . I want to show your wonderfui story on the magazine of SiChuan university .It is should be inspirit more peoplie
21/12/2009 07:15:52

No comments:

Post a Comment