Saturday 23 January 2010

Talks, Talks, Talks

Hi everyone,

Well this last week has just been crazily busy. Great fun though!

On Monday I visited the Wren school in North London and did two talks there which was good fun. Later that day I hopped on a train up to Bradford where I had one of Bradford's famous curries and stayed the night. The following morning I went to visit an organisation called The Lighthouse Group. I've never quite seen a setup like the one they had and I was pretty impressed to say the least. The Lighthouse Group is an organisation that works with guys who have been excluded from school and their aim is to get them back on track. An amazing fact is that two thirds of people who are in prison were excluded from school.

I worked with a couple of small groups of people there and it was great to see just how determined some of these guys were to get out there and really lead an exciting life. One of the girls has an ambition to get out to Africa and work there for a while. I know the people heading up the organisation are looking into that and it shows just how committed these people are to getting these guys back on track.

I got on the train back to London, had a super busy day with more engagements and then on Thursday I popped up to Stafford to stay at my relatives house, as I was to do a talk at their college the following day which went really well. The guys at Stafford college made us feel very welcome so thanks guys!

My throat has started to give up now so I'm cutting back on the speaking a little to let it mend but in the meantime a good old friend of mine and I are flying out to France this afternoon to go skiing for a week! We only booked it a few days ago as a spur of the moment bargain holiday but I'm sure we're going to have some great fun out there. We're skiing in Tinges which is an amazing resort, so it should be pretty good that's for sure.

Anyway, I better be off, as I've got to get out to the airport shortly. I'll let you guys know how the skiing goes when I get back.

Mike

10 comments:

  1. Dan near Toronto23 January 2010 at 18:15

    Hey Mike...great update. Some really interesting stuff you've posted. You sure have a nack for finding admirable engagements of your time and influence. Lighthouse sounds like the perfect venue for you to make a significant impact..as I said last year...you are a shining example to many in all walks of life. Your Stfford engagement sounds like it was a great success.
    I'm really 'chuffed' ( I still like that word) to hear that you are taking some personal time to go out and have fun....BUT...I have a sneaking suspicion that this might have a hidden agenda...maybe searching out another great adventure for the future...lol
    Stay safe out there mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will let you be my friend if you take me skiing :) Not that I have ever been and would probably be on my **** most of the time. Hope you have a nice week. Sounds like you have been busy, put your feet up for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of good health and successes,
    and thx for all + greetz to your family.
    So Long, cu everywhere,
    Timothy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Mike and family,
    We all want to wish you all the possible luck making all of your valuable dreams come true. Through our son Timothy we're following you since such a long time. You're forever the greatest example for Timothy living your dreams. We also want to thank you and your family for supporting Timothy the past weeks; you were a great loving shining and inspiring beacon for him, present in the form of a solid rock lighthouse. We wish you the very best and much much more, with sure including the best possible health. Again good luck to you, dear Mike and family, and maybe we meet each other someday, somewhere, anyhow, who knows.
    God be with you, and you will always remain in our thoughts.
    With loving greetings,
    Saara-Jane and Lennart and Nadalie, the mom and dad and sister of Timothy,
    together with Richelle, the girlfriend of Timothy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mike!
    I wanna ask you some questions about the book.
    Will it be published in Asia?
    Or only in Europe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mike,

    I can't wait for your book. Is there a typo on the publication date (18-03-2010). Could that be 08-03-2010?

    And how about a documentary? Is that in the works also?

    I'm glad you still have a website and 'blog.' I hope the skiing holiday was amazing!

    Colorado bookworm~~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dan near Toronto27 January 2010 at 02:45

    @Yihan...good question! I've found several online and retail stores in the UK that are now accepting orders for Mike's book, but NONE in North America so far. And still no DVD for sale anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dan near Toronto28 January 2010 at 21:26

    Hi to all the Perhams....I've been getting to know the new web site contents a bit more and just wanted to say that the page under "2010" is a wonderful addition. Mike, that was a great interview, I think the best I've seen yet..thanks for including it folks. I'd never heard of Russell, but now I'm a fan. You guys just keep coming up with new ways to keep on affecting people around the world...lol.
    Mike, I hope the skiing holiday went well. Oh by the way did you beat Fiona at getting your drivers lic. first? That driver training car is a bit scary....soooo tinny and the bloody steering wheel is on the wrong side...lol. Well it's finally starting to look a lot like Potters Bar here...snow everywhere today...haha.
    If you find anything about book sales outside of the UK, let us know..thanks mate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Dan - the 2010 vid is great.

    Oh, yea, how about a book signing in Amsterdam, Atlanta, and Toronto (alphabetized per Timo lol). Just kidding. Atlanta missed the 'Potters Bar view' last night - didn;t get the winter weather that was predicted. That's fine, had enough winter about 3 weeks ago when I went sled riding ---- in the car. Even a former 'Yankee' can't handle black ice.

    Hope the ski trip went well Mike and now you are all relaxed, refreshed and ready for Australia. Wishful thinking I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats Mike on the Ocean Cruising Club’s prestigious Awards of Merit. Job well done!

    ReplyDelete