Friday 12 February 2010

Recovering

Hi everyone,

Sorry about the silence on my blog recently, I've been a tad preoccupied!

I arrived in Sydney last friday morning and after meeting up with David and Pete the other two crew members from overseas we jumped in our hire car and headed off to find the park we're staying at. It was great to see the boat and see the guys expressions the first time they saw her. I'm sure they both shouted "she's tiny!" Don came by later in the evening after driving up from Hobart with all sorts of bits and bobs.

Saturday was the first day of the sea survival course and after just an hour or so, I decided I was feeling pretty ill and went out to get some fresh air. I later headed back to the cabin in a taxi as I wasn't getting any better. I thought it was only dehydration but it turned out to be a little worse..

After waiting to get better I headed into hospital to get checked out as I'd been advised to, and they decided to keep me in overnight for observations as they couldn't define what was up with me. Another day followed with another night in hospital with more tests and the day after that they decided to operate and see if it was my appendix that was causing me a load of constant pain. The op went smoothly fortunately and I was later told that my appendix was certainly inflamed so it was a very good call to have it taken out.

I spent another night in hospital recovering and then the guys came and picked me up and brought me back to the cabin. I'm currently resting up a lot and not really doing much to be honest! Sleep is a little difficult as is moving around but it will hopefully get a lot easier with time.

There's lots happening to the boat in terms of small modifications which are exciting to see and it looks like she'll be going in the water very shortly which should be fun.

Mike

7 comments:

  1. Mike, glad to hear you are on the mend. I have just watched your C4 documentary... Totally impressed :)

    Just keep living the dream.

    God bless
    James

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I've been a tad preoccupied!" Well if that isn't typical British understatement. lol.
    So Mike does this mean you won't be going over to avail yourself of some of Margie's fine hospitality and comfy chesterfield...lol.
    Well take care and don't split a gut laughing over any of Don's jokes!
    Oh...make sure you get some nice photos of Don in that lovely red party hat he 'borrowed' when you were down in Hobart..it really is a classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mike. Well my bro knows how you feel as he had the same thing last year, although he had quite a big scar. Rest up, hope your feeling better soon.

    Johnboi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Timothy from Amsterdam (NL) and Sydney NSW 2230 (AU)15 February 2010 at 07:48

    Hi Mike, don't know what to say now, but wishing you all the best there is.
    Timo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Syndey, Australia! 5 years since i visited that place, Im presuming you went under the harbour bridge rather than on it like myself ;)

    Caught your documentary on Sky Anytime the other night. It's as impressive as the first time i watched it.

    You hear it all the time, but keep doing what you do man!

    Can't wait for your book in March, you will be the second athletes book i will have read, im afraid Steven Gerrard beat you to that record ;)

    Anyway take care Mike man

    James, Lancashire.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recovering is likely an apt description..lol..Mike will need to recover after spending a few party nights in Hobart...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on getting the book out. Must be a HUGE relief to get it behind you.

    ReplyDelete